On Wednesday, I took the kids to the free movie that regularly plays at the Rave theaters (Tuesday and Wednesday morning) during the summer. This week we saw Charlotte's Web, and that part was really fun for the day. It was my sisters birthday so I took her kids so she could have a fun day at the mall!
Then we walked over the the Town Square park...of which was fun too...
One minute everything was hunky dory...kids playing...
And the next minute, Maddox got a severe burn on the palm of his hand from climbing onto the "spinner" which had a metal platform...It happened in less than a minute...I was staning only a few feet away and then the screaming started! Note to the people who invent these play things...Don't put metal on a play ground that doesn't have shade in 115 degree heat!!!!
The security personnel tried to help, but with a dinky first aid kit and someone who doesnt' know how to soothe a burn...was a little pointless. So I headed to the closest E.R., and Maddox screamed for the next TWO hours. He was admitted right away, and about an hour later finally got some pain medication, then after that kicked in they wrapped his hand and he was able to stop the sobbing and drift into a much needed little nap.
His hand is scabbing already and I think he will heal fast. And thanks to a preisthood blessing Mark administered to him. I think I needed one too...I felt so helpless, wishing I could take away the pain during those agonizing hours before he was treated properly. My nerves were shot by the time we got home, but my understanding of the atonement may have been increased just a little.
Mark went back on Friday to the park and because of their really good security system with cameras, they caught it on film, and they will take responsibility for all the damage that happened. Thank goodness. It's sad because I really like going to that park, but if it happened once, it could very well happen again, and some poor child and their mother will have to go through what we had to! I hope they either put shade over some of the play equipment or replace it with better material that doesn't burn in the heat!!!